Thursday, February 07, 2008

Blizzard anniversary...

I completely forgot to post my memories of the Blizzard of '78. Today is the 30th anniversary of the nasty storm.

My husband and I lived in NH and worked in MA. It normally took about an hour, give or take, to and from work each day.

The blizzard started and most people went home during the morning. I had to wait for my hubby to do some things at work. We finally left around noon or 1, I think.

The snow was blowing down sideways and it was complete white out conditions. We headed north on the highway. There were hardly any cars on the road, thank God. We couldn't see out the windshield so I was looking out the window watching the guardrail and telling him when we got close. It took us about 2 1/2 hrs. to get home.

Some people weren't so lucky. There were cars all over the highway and people had to be rescued. I worked at a company that had 3 shifts. The second shift guys couldn't leave and were stranded for the night. They had emergency vehicles delivering food to people. It was a horrible situation. MA declared a state of emergency.

The next morning, we dug the car out from a couple of feet of snow and we went skiing! NH was clear and could handle the road clearing. We did the same thing for the next day or two. I think it was about 3 or 4 days we weren't allowed to come down to MA to go to work. We weren't complaining....

Unfortunately, I don't have photos. I found this one on which shows one of the main highways.


~**Dawn**~ said...

I was too little to remember the BLizzard of 78 but I've heard lots of stories!

SnoopMurph said...

I don't quite recall the blizzard-a little too young, but it must have been devastating to so many.

Theresa said...

Don't recall that one, and I was back east then.

Michael and I once were driving from NY to DE when a blizzard hit, none of the exits on the Jersey Turnpike were open, and cars that pulled over got stuck- we just kept driving- It was a very long trip (about 8 hours) and I was hungry (I had eaten our only food 5 minutes into the trip) so when we got 10 minutes from our house I asked Michael to stop at Wawa and we got stuck in the parking lot and even worse the Wawa wasn't even open.
I was off from school 3 days due to the snow!